Four technicians are needed for a project studying swamp rabbit distribution in southeast Missouri. This project is a collaboration between Southern Illinois University and the Missouri Department of Conservation and will assess the climate and landscape factors affecting swamp rabbit distribution. Swamp rabbits are a game species and a species of conservation concern in Missouri as this is the northern extent of their range and they are experiencing increased habitat loss.
Technicians will work together with a graduate student in surveying for swamp rabbits and collecting vegetation data in southeastern Missouri, primarily in bottomland hardwood forests, swamps, and wetlands. The field season will begin in early-mid November 2022 and continue through mid-late March 2023. Surveys will often be in remote areas with little to no cell service, so the ability to work remotely and independently for extended periods of time is required. Essential field equipment will be provided, including GPS units, waders and field vehicles. The position is full-time (37.5 hrs/week) and technicians will be paid $12/hr until January 1, 2023 when the hourly rate will increase to $13/hr. Technicians may need to work weekends and/or irregular hours but will not expected to work beyond 37.5 hours. Additionally, shared housing is provided at no cost; the house has cell service but no direct internet access, although Wi-Fi is available within walking distance.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Surveying for swamp rabbits
- Vegetation/habitat measurements
- Data processing and entry
- Contacting and interacting with landowners
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to work outside in harsh weather conditions, walking up to 10 miles/day.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google Sheets, etc)
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Positive attitude and a willingness to adapt to changes
- Friendly, team-oriented person who can live in co-ed housing with colleagues
- Familiarity with handheld GPS devices
- Strong communication skills and/or experience interacting with private landowners
- Ability to drive 4WD vehicles in swampy, remote areas; ability to change tires a plus
- Familiarity with bottomland hardwoods/swamps and swamp rabbit ecology
- Working towards or possess a B.S. in Natural Resources or related field
To apply, please email a one-page cover letter detailing your interest and skills, CV, and contact info for three references in a single PDF to Kylie Bosch at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Swamp Rabbit Technician Application.” PDFs should be titled as “LastNameFirstName_SwampRabbits”, i.e. “BoschKylie_SwampRabbits.” Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.