Does working on a 30,000+ acre preserve performing stewardship activities intrigue you? Do you understand the importance of connecting people with on-the-ground conservation work to build community support through engagement activities? Are you interested in carrying out prescribed fire as a land management strategy? The Sycan Marsh Preserve Steward position with The Nature Conservancy in Oregon could be the position for you!
You will perform planning, implementation, and monitoring for a variety of stewardship activities, including prescribed fire on Sycan Marsh Preserve and other TNC Oregon sites. You will also be responsible for equipment maintenance and facilities upkeep for the Jim Castle Applied Research Station and other facilities on the Sycan Marsh Preserve. Additionally, you will be required to live in personal quarters at the Research Station at Sycan Marsh for the winter months of November through March. Housing is required on this property since the property is particularly vulnerable to damage from winter weather conditions if unattended during the winter season.
The ideal candidate will have a background and track record that includes:
• BA/BS/AS/Technical or vocational degree in science-related field and 1-year related experience in custodial and ecological land management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g.; ATV, snowmobile, chainsaw, Bobcat, two-way radio, etc.).
• Qualified as NWCG Type 2 Firefighter (FFT2) at time of hire. Requirements can be found in the Conservancy Fire Management Manual at: http://tncfiremanual.org/SingleResource.htm
• Must achieve physical fitness standard as determined by local Fire Program Manager.
• Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required (e.g. First Aid, CPR, Commercial Pesticide Applicator).
• Must have a valid driver's license and good driving record.
Preferred knowledge, skills and experience that would be helpful:
• Cross cultural and multilingual skills appreciated.
• 2 years related experience in land management including prescribed fire, invasive species control, forestry and livestock grazing.
• Qualified as NWCG Engine Boss (ENGB). Requirements can be found in the Conservancy Fire Management Manual at: http://tncfiremanual.org/SingleResource.htm
• Spatial data skills including mapping with ArcMap GIS and the use of GPS equipment.
• Experience supervising staff or volunteers.
If you are interested in working to save the planet, want to work in a collaborative environment, and like a great benefits package, review our full position description https://goo.gl/1kS8sS or please visit www.nature.org/careers and search for job ID
46573 in the keyword search.
Submit your application by 8:59 PM PST on July 2, 2018 to be considered.