In cooperation with the U.S. Forest Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (LTBMU), the Great Basin Institute is recruiting one (1) Visitor Services Intern. The Intern will provide visitor information at the Taylor Creek Visitor Center at beautiful Lake Tahoe. Taylor Creek hosts interpretive programs and provides information and retail services to the general public. The main attraction is the Stream Profile Chamber that provides a view of the stream environment allowing visitors to study a diverted section of Taylor Creek through a panel of aquarium-like windows. Working alongside Forest Service staff to provide visitor services the Technician will:
• Assist with educational programs for children and adults;
• Assist in the preparation of informational materials;
• Answer visitor questions, phone calls and provide information on local recreation opportunities and wilderness hikes;
• Monitor and maintain information desk, store inventory, operating materials, and display boards;
• Maintain a supply of maps and publications; as well as
• Open and close the visitor center and assist with site maintenance.
Timeline & Compensation:
• 25-week appointment beginning May 11, 2018 (or upon earliest availability)
• Living allowance: $12,746.40
• AmeriCorps Education Award: $2,907.50
The Intern will be based out of the Taylor Creek Visitor Center in South Lake Tahoe.
o Ability to walk on trails in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and otherwise maintain good physical condition;
o Knowledge of western ecosystems, wildlife, plants and tree species;
o Knowledge of hiking trails and recreation opportunities in the Lake Tahoe Basin;
o Ability to work productively as part of a team to accomplish mutual goals and communicate effectively;
o Interest in the mission of and services offered by the U.S. Forest Service;
o Possess a valid, clean, state-issued driver’s license with the ability to operate a 4WD vehicle on or off paved roads; and
o Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, (2) eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards), (3) pass National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW) and federal criminal background checks, (4) adhere to the rules, regulations and code of conduct as specified in the Member Service Agreement; and (5) not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement.