Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices in 13 states, is looking for a fulltime, experienced Technical Reporting Manager in our Cheyenne, WY office. WEST was founded in 1990 and has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to basic research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry and other organizations.
The successful candidate will have experience and expertise in scientific/technical writing and editing and will be responsible for developing the training and protocol to advance the reporting and communications throughout WEST. The Technical Reporting Manager will work both individually and with our team of technical editors, natural resource specialists, scientists and biometricians to:
• Develop a national program within WEST to ensure technical report consistency and quality among technical reports, white papers, federal documents (e.g., Environmental Impact Statements), proposals, presentations, technical memorandums
• Work collaboratively with project managers, technical editors, and staff to develop, compose, edit, and deliver various documentation, reports, and manuals
• Using WEST’s existing document tracking and technical editing program, work with existing staff to expand these programs and develop internal communication tools
• Process technical editing requests from Project Managers/Writers/Project Coordinators
• Edit, format, and proofread technical reports, white papers, environmental impact statements, proposals, presentations, technical memorandums, and other documents to WEST or client standards
o Add customized bibliography to technical reports, technical memorandums, white papers, environmental impact statements, and proposals
o Adds table of contents as needed to technical reports, white papers, technical memorandums, environmental impact statements, and proposals
• Manage technical report staff, including scheduling and possible use of external sources to meet immediate deadlines
• Develop and administer training and coaching across WEST to improve technical writing and editing skills across the company
• Develop training manual to ensure documents meet editorial and company specifications and adhere to standards for quality, graphics, coverage, format, syntax, style, and tone
• Develop an internal technical review process and team of individuals to assist with report writing, reviews, editing, and proofreading for both non-technical and technical documents, checking for consistency, format, clarity, and overall cohesiveness
• Establish strategic plans, policies, and procedures at all levels so quality improvement efforts will meet or exceed internal and external client needs and expectations
• Participate in regular meetings to communicate status and relevant project updates
• Manage document and process changes
• Maintain version control and file management of various documentation products across concurrent projects
• Apply strong communication and analytical skills
• Other duties as assigned
The Technical Reporting Manager we are seeking has a great opportunity to help WEST take the next step in our growth as a premier environmental consulting firm. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses a degree in Biology, Ecology, Zoology or related field or a degree in English with a minimum of 3-5 years of scientific/technical writing and editing experience. The candidate must also possess:
• Strong technical/scientific capacity (familiarity with scientific and technical terminology)
• Diverse writing experience (summaries, technical reports, articles, strategic plans, training program, and any other customer deliverables and documents)
• Highly collaborative work ethic
• High level of literacy (knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including rules of composition and grammar)
• Excellent communication skills
• High level of attention to detail
• Strong organizational skills
• Problem solving / analysis
• Proficiency in the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint; familiarity with EndNotes
• Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
• Ability to effectively supervise others
Some travel will be required.
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
Join WEST and you will discover a company comprised of dedicated employees, many of which have been part of the WEST family for over a decade. WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
Competitive salary and bonus structure
Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
SEP IRA (100% employer contributions)
Life insurance, Long Term Disability and AD&D
Profit sharing potential
Excellent administrative support
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
To Apply: Visit the WEST, Inc. Careers Page and select the job in which you are applying for.