Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
The Greenhouse Project Crew Member – Northern Nevada
The Greenhouse Project
Carson City, Nevada
In return for their service, AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance of $7,559/year, health benefits during their service, and will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $3,097.50.
Last Date to Apply
Host Site Agency Mission:
The Greenhouse Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a mission to grow fresh produce for the needy in our community and to teach young people about gardening and horticulture. We manage a greenhouse, hoop houses and outdoor raised beds at a site located behind Carson High School, working with students in agriculture classes, special needs students, and community groups of various ages.
Member Position Summary:
Through service duties, members will contribute to and support the growth and production of produce to be donated to local food banks. Additionally, their service working alongside students and volunteers will support the spread of information of sustainable agriculture and nutrition education.
Member Schedule & Service Location:
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm, some weekends and evenings for special programs and events.
Carson City, NV
Timeline: November 2020 - August 2021
● Learn and apply innovative high desert farming techniques including infrastructure development, installation & maintenance as related to member service
● Maintain diverse crops through pruning, harvesting, and cultivation
● Prepare site for plantings and crop production
● Assist and train volunteers to aid in production
● Develop strategies to maximize time efficiency and production.
● Serve as a host for visitors and student groups, leading tours and answering questions
● Engage youth field trips and student groups in hands on activities
● Successfully complete all required trainings
● Recruit, manage and train volunteers to support programs and events as appropriate (e.g. school garden communities)
● Collect and report program statistics
● Participate in daily AmeriCorps team meetings
● Serve in collaborative programs and events at other approved AmeriCorps Host Sites
● Dedication and responsibility to the position and the AmeriCorps service agreement
● Passion for Environmental Education, Sustainable Agriculture & Healthy Lifestyles
● Ability to work in teams and work well with the public
● Ability to follow safety procedures and protocols
● Ability to lift heavy objects (50 pounds)
● Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
● Willingness to serve outdoors in inclement weather as needed
● Ability to arrive to work on time (early in the morning)
● Possess a valid Driver’s License