Tahawus Trails LLC is a full-service trail design, construction, and consulting company based in New York State looking for motivated, hard-working professionals to join our crew of experienced trail builders. Tahawus Trails is a worker-owned company, there is the potential to become an owner after several years of employment.
The trail crew member will work both independently and as part of a team to perform a wide range of trail construction tasks on a variety of trail projects. They will be required to safely use hand tools, power tools, and mechanized equipment to complete projects including (but not limited to) side-hill benching, trail corridor clearing, retaining walls, stone staircases, bridges, carpentry projects, etc. The position will require the trail crew member to work outdoors in all weather conditions, in varied and steep terrain, carrying and moving heavy objects of 50 pounds or more. Duties may include (but are not limited to): digging, cutting trees and brush, constructing trail structures using dimensional and rough-cut lumber, rock work with native or imported stone, landscaping, spreading crushed stone, etc. The trail crew member will need to follow instructions as they relate to their assigned task, as well as the larger scope of the project. They will also maintain and repair tools, occasionally lead crews, and perform other duties as assigned.
-Experience in one or more of the following or related fields: Trail Building, Dry Stone Masonry, Carpentry, Landscaping, or any other construction field.
-Performance of physical labor outdoors in varying weather conditions for extended periods of time, as well as lifting and carrying heavy objects over rugged terrain.
-Basic First Aid and CPR-AED certification.
-Attention to detail and quality craftsmanship.
-Must be able to travel for work, including occasional camping at work locations.
-Ability to maintain positive attitude and the willingness to learn.
-Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with trail related tools including: Shovels, Picks, Rock Bars, McLeod’s, Chainsaws,
Cross-cut Saws, Axes, Wood and Rock Drills, and Generators.
- Experience with leading trail construction crews and managing project logistics.
- Machine and equipment operation and maintenance, including Excavators, Skid Steers, Crawler
Carriers, Brush Cutters, etc.
- Experience working with Winches, Rigging and High-lines.
- Experience with MS Office, QGIS, ArcMap and Sketchup.
- Ability to take initiative to complete necessary tasks.
- An avid trail user, hiking and mountain biking.
- Familiar with Leave No Trace principles.
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR-AED Certifications.
Job Start Date: Spring 2019 (will consider a summer only position)
To Apply: Please email a resume, with references and a photographic portfolio of previous work to: email@example.com