PLEASE APPLY ON OUR WEBSITE WWW.NWYOUTHCORPS.ORG
We are currently hiring for multiple positions in Portland, OR, Eugene, OR, and Washington state.
Northwest Youth Corps:
Since 1984, Northwest Youth Corps (NYC) is a non-profit organization that provides unique work training experiences that empowers youth and young adults to become successful, resilient members of their community. To achieve this, NYC provides a variety of outdoor, conservation-specific programs throughout the Northwest that emphasize leadership, growth and personal success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work Project Participation – Crew Members will be part of an eight person crew lead by one Crew Leader. Crew Members are responsible for the safe completion of assigned projects in a timely manner to predetermined specifications under the direction of their Crew Leader. Crews work closely with program staff and other participants, paying specific attention to safe work practices, proper tool use, work quality and efficiency.
This crew will be working and living in a front country camping setting dependent on project schedule. Projects may include trail building and maintenance, tree planting, invasive species/weed removal, fire fuels reduction (chain sawing/slash piling), fence construction, park maintenance and many others.
Development & Education – Crew Members participate in educational group discussions twice a week. An Individual Development Plan will be created by each member to foster self-improvement and reflection as the program progresses. Crew members must be able to learn the necessary skills to be successful in this program and effectively carry out work assignments as instructed and trained.
Training and Professional Development:
Northwest Youth Corps members will be provided a 5 day comprehensive training which may cover the following topics:
• USDA Chainsaw operation and maintenance
• NYC Leadership Philosophy
• Basic Trail maintenance and Construction
• Crew Management and Motivation
• Conservation Education
• Risk Management and Safety Procedures
• Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
• Behavior Management
• Time Management
• Driver Training
• Tool Use and Maintenance
• Wilderness First Aid
• Leave No Trace, Environmental Ethics
Apply online at www.nwyouthcorps.org/JoinNYC. Contact Will Chaney, Leadership Coordinator WillC(at)nwyouthcorps.org if you have any questions. Additional program information can be found at www.nwyouthcorps.org. Additional program information can be found at http://www.nwyouthcorps.org/
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $1,200.00 /month
Required Qualifications and Expectations:
• 19—26 years old, US Citizen
• High School Diploma, GED
• Ability to lift 50 lbs, hike several miles, and be on feet for 8-10 hours per day
• Positive mental attitude, flexibility and commitment to success
• Excellent judgment
• Willingness and ability to complete all aspects of the program including conservation projects, education, training and national service.
• Ability to listen, give and take feedback, and learn constantly
• Desire to go the extra mile to make a positive impact on oneself, others and the environment
• No trail crew or prior conservation crew experience is needed to apply for this position. A general comfort and previous knowledge of working/living in an outdoor setting is helpful for camping and working.