Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Vegetation Sampling Technician: Roswell, NM
Texas Tech University
Roswell, New Mexico
Commensurate with experience
Last Date to Apply
Field technician position (2-3 months). Assisting with research investigating vegetation species composition, biomass, and invertebrate response to various prescribed fire and grazing regimes.
Duties will include conducting a variety of vegetation surveys vegetation surveys including visual obstruction surveys using modified Robel-Pole techniques, herbaceous biomass surveys, percent cover estimations using Daubenmire frame surveys, performing step-point species composition surveys, and perform invertebrate sweep net sampling. May also assist with avian nest-site surveys
Other activities will include using GPS units, compasses, reading maps, operating and maintaining four-wheel drive vehicles, safe transport and operation of ATVs and UTVs with trailers, processing samples under field conditions, following established sampling methodologies.
These positions require long hours under extreme conditions and widely varying temperatures in areas with hazardous wildlife, including rattlesnakes and biting insects. Job may require walking long distances over rough and varying terrain.
Shared housing and utilities provided. Study site is located in sand shinnery oak prairie region of New Mexico. Sierra Blanca mountains, Lincoln National Forest, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, and White Sands National Park are in reasonable distance to provide recreational opportunities during off hours.
Preferred applicants will:
• Have experience, eagerness, and willingness to conduct vegetation surveys
• Willingness to learn or experience identifying plants to species
• Be able to working as a member of a team and independently
• Be able to use a compass and handheld GPS
• Experience and ability to safely operate ATVs, UTVs, 4 X 4 vehicles, and haul trailers
• Experience and ability to enter, manage and process data in excel and other Microsoft programs
• Be able to maintain a positive attitude under adverse working conditions
• Be able to get along with others while Living in shared housing
Applicants must be currently eligible to work in the U.S., have and maintain a valid driver’s license, be able to pass a background check.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and 3 references, in (1) PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org