NCASI, the National Council for Air & Stream Improvement, Inc. (www.ncasi.org), is an independent, non-profit, member-driven research institute that seeks to create credible scientific information required to address the environmental information needs of the forest products industry in North America. Established in 1943, NCASI is recognized as the leading source of reliable data on environmental issues affecting this industry, and has nearly 100 member companies throughout Canada and the United States. With a staff of 60 technical professionals, NCASI conducts research, undertakes surveys, performs field measurements, and sponsors research by universities and others to document the environmental performance of industry facility operations and forest management, and to gain insight into opportunities for further improvement in meeting sustainability goals. NCASI is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Position: Vice President, Forestry Programs
NCASI is seeking an experienced professional to serve as Vice President, Forestry Programs to provide leadership and oversight of NCASI programs addressing environmental issues associated with sustainable forestry, wood procurement operations, and wildlife / biodiversity management. The Vice President, Forestry Programs will serve on NCASI’s Executive Leadership Team, assume primary responsibility for supervising staff and performance management, ensuring that technical products are delivered in a timely fashion and are of the highest quality, establishing and maintaining effective communications and liaison with NCASI Member Companies, outreach to potential new members of NCASI, and service as NCASI’s visible spokesperson for forestry-related environmental issues. As Vice President, Forestry Programs this person will also coordinate with the Vice President, Canadian Operations on forestry-related matters in Canada. The preferred location for this position is at NCASI’s office in Cary, NC (other locations may be considered).
1. Earned doctoral degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline and five or more years of experience in managing environmental work, which demonstrates increasing levels of personal leadership responsibility; or
2. Earned master’s degree in an appropriate scientific or engineering discipline and ten or more years of experience in managing environmental work, which demonstrates increasing levels of personal leadership responsibility. Ph.D. strongly preferred.
3. A record of scientific achievement as demonstrated by publications in the peer-reviewed literature and by professional service.
4. Highly effective oral and written communication skills.
5. Keenly attuned to the significance of environmental issues to the forest products industry, including the importance of such issues in international trade.
6. Intimate familiarity with federal and state environmental regulations relevant to the forest products industry, including the history of regulatory development and the response of the forest products industry to such regulation.
7. Ability to travel frequently on NCASI business to implementation of the technical studies program and to support NCASI Member Companies and their trade associations.
8. Exhibit professional appearance and demeanor, a demonstrable ability to work effectively with others, evidence of a stable employment history, and evidence of organizational skills, professional presentation skills, and self-motivation.
9. Eligible for immediate employment in the U.S. and to travel internationally.
1. Intimate familiarity with NCASI’s mission, culture, history, policies, and procedures.
2. Possess high personal recognition among managers responsible for environmental affairs in Member Companies.
A more complete description of this position, including qualifications and responsibilities, is available at http://www.ncasi.org/About-NCASI/Job-Openings/Index.aspx.
To apply for this position, please submit your resumé to:
Dr. T. Bently Wigley
Vice President, Forestry Programs
PO Box 340317
Clemson, SC 29634-0317
Review of applications will begin on April 5, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. The desired start date for the position is June 1, 2018. NCASI is an equal opportunity employer.