One of a kind internship! Do you have a fascination will alligators, snakes, and other amazing reptiles? If so, this is a once in a lifetime internship Gator Country Beaumont, Texas (largest alligator park west of the Mississippi River) invites applicants for a video production and editor internship in the Sanctuary’s busy Office of Communications, Exhibits and Planning. The department promotes the Sanctuary through traditional media relations and digital media including web video of our science, reptiles, and staff. Current college students who have experience editing video, hands on experience operating camera equipment through class work, or experience filming video are encouraged to apply. The video production and editor intern will interact closely with our social media department and be part of a larger media and communications team that produces content for local and national viewership.
• Edit B-roll packages for distribution to news media and Gator Country media outlets.
• Work directly with the owners, managers & staff as a production assistant and camera operator when requested.
• Obtain B-roll of the Sanctuary’s Nuisance Alligator Calls/Catches, Sanctuary Activities, Projects…ect.
• Prepare video equipment for productions
• Film Road Shows
• Create short (0:30-3:00 minute) web videos for the Sanctuary’s website and YouTube channel. 3 per week.
• Interns will gain experience producing professional video packages that include quality b-roll of the Sanctuary’s reptiles and exhibits, interviews with keepers, curators and researchers, and a strong conservation message.
• Interns will write interview questions and work with the Communications Team Member to ensure you've hit all the right marks. You'll also contact and set up interviews with individual keepers/curators, interns, ect.
• Interns will gain experience working with the media by fulfilling requests for b-roll from reporters, producers, Sanctuary staff, etc.
• Communications staff will act as mentors to the interns and ensure that they receive constructive feedback on all assignments.
• Videos and b-roll prepared by interns (and reviewed by GC staff) will be used in a variety of communications, including press releases, social media, web updates, and e-newsletters.
• Internship requires 40 hours per week
• Internship requires minimum 3 month commitment
• Major in digital media, broadcast journalism, or communications
• Applicants with prior experience working in a fast-paced environment (such as a newsroom) and/or conservation organization preferred
• Must be on call for emergency calls to film nuisance alligator calls
• Idea oriented!!! Let’s have fun! Be prepared for the heat, bad weather, and extremely odd situations for filming nuisance alligator calls! Largest alligator caught on record is Big Tex 2016 and resides here at our sanctuary!
• Proficiency with Adobe Premiere digital editing software
• Experience operating camera equipment
• Willingness to take initiative and offer perspectives on how to increase outreach and engage viewers
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to meet tight deadlines
• Ability to research and fact-check content.
• Flexibility and a good sense of humor