About Northwest Youth Corps (NYC):
Northwest Youth Corps was created in 1984 to offer teenagers an education-based, work experience modeled after the historic Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930's. Today, we serve over 1,000 youth each year across a four-state region who restore critical habitat, build trails, lead volunteers, educate youth, and respond to local and national disasters.
About Seattle Area National Park Sites:
There are many National Park Service sites in the Seattle area, including Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, the Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience and the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Exclusion Memorial. Work for this internship will be focused on conveying the Klondike Gold Rush story to visitors from around the area.
• NYC will provide the selected intern a prorated stipend of $9,600 along with worker compensation coverage
• The intern will also have $3,000 to cover housing expenses
• Park housing will not be provided
This position is located at Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park - Seattle in Pioneer Square. The intern will be responsible for providing informal and formal interpretive programming as part of the Visitor Center team as well as contribute significantly to the park’s social media presence. Individuals will work with a supervisor and mentor to develop and present an original interpretive product. While the majority of the job is inside, individuals may be needed to attend outdoor activities in conditions varying from warm sunshine to cool, wet, coastal weather. More information about Klondike-Seattle can be found at www.nps.gov/klse.
Application Deadline: August 11, 2021
Interviews: Will occur as qualified applications are received.
Type of position: Individual Placement
Service Dates Approximately August 2021 to December 2021
Length of Term: 640 Hours (16 Weeks)
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references and completely fill out the application form found at http://bit.ly/NYCInternApplicationForm.
Please select “Klondike Gold Rush NHP – Interpretation 2021” when applying.
Within your cover letter, please discuss any prior knowledge surrounding the sharing of histories from under-represented communities, how this internship will further your career goals, and any experience in representing an organization via social media.
Internship Program Officer
Northwest Youth Corps
Supervisory Park Ranger (I)
Seattle Area National Park Sites
• Provide friendly and professional informal and formal interpretive experiences for park visitors
• Ability to conduct park operations according to agency safety guidelines
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively via social media platforms is preferred
• Experience in researching and preparing for public dissemination histories that highlight under-represented communities is preferred