The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the United States Fish & Wildlife Service, is recruiting a Visitor Services Specialist for the Pahranagat and Moapa Valley National Wildlife Refuge work teams (Lincoln and Clark Counties, NV). The specialist will work collaboratively with Refuge staff to manage the Visitor Center operation and implement a variety of visitor service programs. Programs will mainly revolve around interpretation, education and volunteers.
• Supervise and coordinate volunteer program through volunteer recruitment, training, project coordination, recognition, etc.;
• Conduct outreach, staff outreach events, and develop and conduct special events;
• Oversee the day-to-day operation of the refuge’s visitor center and nature store. Staff information desks in visitor center or contact stations and provides roving interpretation;
• Develop and present a variety of interpretive and recreation programs;
• Development of interpretive materials such as brochures, pamphlets, exhibits, website updates and signs;
• Develop and present environmental education programs;
• Perform light custodial and maintenance to maintain clean and safe visitor facilities;
• Help run campground and trail network, which could include custodial and maintenance of the visitor amenities.
• 52-week appointment beginning October 2021
• Full time (40 hours/week); weekend hours will be required
Pahranagat NWR is located on the Pacific Flyway, a major north-south migratory route along the western coast of the United States. In the spring and fall, the migration of hundreds of unique bird species makes Pahranagat a birdwatcher's paradise. The refuge is open every day. The visitor center features interactive exhibits, a short refuge film, informational brochures, and a small gift shop where you can buy souvenirs of your time at the refuge.
Pahranagat NWR’s recreational opportunities will bring visitors into close proximity with wildlife. Pahranagat features approximately 7 miles of hiking trails which cross through five different habitat types, giving visitors the opportunity to see meadows, marshes, lakes, streams and desert within a single afternoon visit. Hunting and fishing are allowed during prescribed seasons, and for those interested in experiencing this desert oasis at night, free camping is available on designated campsites at the Upper Lake. The nearest town to the refuge is Alamo, NV, and the refuge is located about 1.5 hours from Las Vegas, NV.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Wage: $18.00 per hour
• Onsite housing available for rent
• Paid leave and holidays
• Eligible to enroll in company 401K plan with match contributions (after 90 days)
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance available at no cost
• Bachelor’s degree in education, natural resources conservation, interpretation or a related field and commensurate field experience;
• Experience recruiting, training and/or managing volunteers;
• Experience working in a customer service setting similar to a visitor center (highly desirable);
• Experience conducting interpretation (highly desirable);
• Experience living or working in, and/or knowledge of Mojave Desert (preferable) or southwestern wetland ecosystems and natural/cultural resources(desirable);
• Experience developing and implementing environmental education and curricula (desirable);
• Experience planning and conducting outreach and special events.
• Experience creating interpretive materials (e.g.: pamphlets, posters) or displays. A working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite products;
• Knowledge of and/or experience developing multi-media programs (desirable).
• Motivated, self-starter who is detail oriented and capable of working with little direct supervision to develop and present programs;
• Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities;
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public in a variety of forums;
• Ability to speak Spanish conversationally, desirable but not required;
• Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments; and
• Possess a valid, state-issued driver’s license and clean driving record.