Job Title: Water Quality Intern
Department: Natural Resources Department
Reports to: Environmental Services Manager
Salary Range: $12.75 per hour
Terms: Intern Position May – August 2021
Opens: February 15, 2021
Closes: March 01, 2021
SUMMARY: The Water Quality Intern will perform tasks and duties assigned by the Water Quality Coordinator, Water Quality Specialist or Environmental Services Manager that provides assistance in the implementation of any or all components of the Water Quality Protection Program (WQPP) and will assist with additional activities under the various sections of the Clean Water Act as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in the collection of biological, chemical, and physical data in the field.
• Maintain, calibrate, troubleshoot and properly use all water quality equipment.
• Wetland monitoring including plant surveys, pressing plants for long-term herbarium storage, wetland delineations, and invasive species surveys and control.
• Assist in wild rice research and monitoring.
• Sorting and identifying aquatic macroinvertebrates.
• Road-stream crossing inventories
• Assist with implementation of on the ground restoration projects.
• Assist in data analysis, writing reports and educational outreach.
• Attending meetings and trainings to update or acquire new skills.
• Intern will occasionally be utilized by other NRD programs and help with the Youth Conservation Corps
• Other duties as assigned.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE WEBSITE LINK TO LOCATE REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION MATERIALS AND CONTACT INFORMATION.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must possess 60 credits towards a Bachelor of Science Degree in limnology, environmental sciences, conservation biology, biology, graphic information systems, botany, fisheries or related science field. Intern may be eligible to receive credit from their university.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Knowledge required in the follow Microsoft programs: Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Word.
• Must be detail oriented and able to work in an outdoor setting, lab, and office environment.
• Must be familiar with boats/canoes, able to swim, hike/walk through rough terrain in all weather and elements.
• Coursework in GIS, invertebrates, and botany is preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, reliable transportation, and be insurable for duration of employment. Will need a LTBB scientific collector’s permit, which will be provided upon hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to sit and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds (data collection equipment on land and off a boat or canoe). Specific vision abilities required by this job included close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions for long periods of time during all four seasons. Will work frequently on a boat, canoe, or kayak. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and be insurable for duration of employment.
Indian preference will apply. Individuals must pass a thorough background investigation.