Water Resources Specialist
Water Quality Sampler
customers and is a partner and the managing agency for the Joint Water Commission (JWC), which serves over 400,000 customers in Washington County, Oregon! We’re searching for a motivated, detail-oriented candidate who is excited about water quality and environmental monitoring in the drinking water industry to join our team as a Water Resource Specialist.
The Ideal Candidate:
The Water Resource Specialist will join the Department’s Water Quality group to monitor reservoirs, streams, water treatment plants, and the City’s water distribution systems for a variety of water quality parameters. This position executes monitoring plans to support the Water Department and JWC’s regulatory compliance, source water assessments, and investigative needs.
Responsibilities may include:
• Calibration of monitoring equipment;
• Sample and invoice tracking;
• Data entry and validation;
• Reporting, and coordination with laboratories;
• Collecting water samples and using instruments and equipment to collect water quality data in the field;
• Ability to follow sampling plans, procedures, and schedules;
• Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to work independently and in a team-setting;
• Working outdoors in a variety of weather situations as well as in a professional office environment.
• Strong Microsoft Excel and writing skill are desired;
• Experience with electronic field data collection is desired, but not required.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Hydrology, Chemistry, Ecology, Geography, Engineering Science, Geology or a closely related field and two years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
• Valid Driver’s License and safe driving record;
• Oregon Boater Education Card from the Oregon State Marine Board within sixty days of hire.
The City of Hillsboro recognizes that some applicants, particularly women, people with disabilities, and people of color do not always apply for positions unless they directly meet all of the qualifications. We greatly encourage you to apply and welcome applicants from diverse and varied backgrounds. Transferable skills WILL be considered when reviewing applications for meeting minimum qualifications.