WETLAND/WILD RICE ECOLOGIST: (full time, permanent position) for the Great Lakes Indian Fish & Wildlife Commission (GLIFWC), located on the Bad River Indian Reservation at Odanah, Wisconsin. GLIFWC serves 11 Ojibwe tribes in the implementation and management of treaty harvesting rights. GLIFWC’s Biological Services Division employs scientists and TEK specialists with expertise in environmental, fisheries, wildlife, and wild plant issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Wildlife Section Leader Wetland/Wild Rice Ecologist will:
1. Assist GLIFWC member tribes in the implementation of their treaty-reserved hunting, trapping, and gathering rights in a culturally-appropriate and biologically-sound manner, especially as it relates to wild rice and waterfowl. Serve as expert supporting tribal litigation and negotiation as needed.
2. Work in partnership with GLIFWC Genawendang Manoomin and wild rice technician to implement the Manoomin plan and evaluate success.
3. Develop in consultation with the Voigt Intertribal Task Force annual migratory bird harvest regulations and report on harvests as required.
4. Provide technical assistance to tribes on issues related to wild rice and waterfowl as requested.
5. Serve as the lead of GLIFWC aquatic plant management team to review invasive species control permits that may affect wild rice.
6. Pursue collaborative opportunities for research and management of wild rice and waterfowl issues important to the tribes.
1. Experience in working with Tribes and tribal governments is preferred. Demonstrated aptitude or experience in cross-cultural working environment.
2. Masters of Science degree in wetland ecology with emphasis on wild rice or waterfowl, or related field.
3. Demonstrated skill in written and oral communication
4. Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable.
5. Indian preference will be applied consistent with GLIFWC policies and the federal Indian Self Determination and Education Act (PL 93-638).
SALARY: The starting salary range for this position is $41,031 - $48,975, depending on qualifications and experience. GLIFWC offers a full range of fringe benefits including health insurance, retirement plan, disability insurance, and life insurance.