Cross Canyon Whitetails is a premier trophy whitetail deer and exotic animal breeding operation located in Belton, TX. Interns will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the whitetail deer and exotic breeding industry with the primary focus around bottle raising fawns. Interns will develop skills in the general care and raising of deer as well as other species. THIS IS A FULL-TIME, FULL-SUMMER INTERNSHIP WITH LONG HOURS AND VERY LIMITED TIME OFF. Even with the long hours in the Texas heat, interns find this a very rewarding and educational experience.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Bottle Raising, socializing, and weaning fawns
• Observing and treating fawns for injury/sickness
• Tagging and microchipping fawns
• Vaccinating and medicating fawns
• Meticulous record-keeping per fawn
• Feeding and observing adult deer and other animals on the ranch
• Cleaning and upkeep of Office, Barns, Grounds, Residence
• Assist in any Day-to-Day Ranch Work Necessary
• Simple food preparation and supply shopping
• Reliability – at work on time every day – willing and ready to work hard at whatever is needed
• Commitment – to give animals the best care possible – to follow directions accurately
• Dependability – self-motivated & able to work with or without supervision as needed
• Discernment – ability to observe animals’ health and respond appropriately – detail-oriented
• Physically Fit – work in the heat for long hours and all-weather conditions – lift heavy objects (50 lbs. +)
• Patience – love & desire to work with animals – able to cooperate and communicate well with others – good attitude – flexible & able to adapt to changes
** Experience raising livestock will be greatly considered – as well as a desire to learn more about general animal husbandry.
** Intern must have drivers’ license and provide own transportation. NO drugs including tobacco or alcohol.
$1,000 monthly ($500 on the 1st and 15th) – plus a bonus at the end of the summer based on the performance of the intern. Housing will be provided off-site. Two meals per day will be provided.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and references to Judy Millegan at email@example.com.