Overview & Job Duties:
Work in a joint capacity with Pheasants Forever, Inc. (PF), Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS) and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) to promote, accelerate enrollment, coordinate and implement the conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related wildlife conservation programs. Activities will include program promotion, contract coordination, conservation planning, conservation plan modification, site assessment and reporting. Provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever and other local partners to influence habitat management efforts and participate in statewide habitat meetings. Attend Farm Bill Biologist training and assist in coordinating technical assistance efforts. Implement specific conservation programs to improve wildlife habitat. Assist or coordinate activities and projects as assigned by supervisor relevant to PF and the WI Farm Bill Biologist Partnership.
Four positions will be hired through this announcement and will be based in an NRCS Area or Field Office in Altoona, Stevens Point, Portage, and Madison, WI and will provide technical and program assistance to across multiple counties. As needed based on priorities and opportunities, the biologist may also help service other counties outside of their primary work area. The incumbents are employees of Pheasants Forever, Inc. and receive supervision from Pheasants Forever with daily guidance provided by the local NRCS staff. The incumbents serve as a USDA NRCS Conservation Programs Biologist providing biological/wildlife aspects of all NRCS, WDNR, and PF Conservation Programs to private landowners and participants.
• Provide technical assistance and guidance to private landowners that are interested in voluntarily improving their land for wildlife and other natural resource concerns.
• Assist Federal and state government agencies, non-government organizations, and other entities on the implementation of various conservation programs.
• Gather applications and other required program documentation and assist with program contracts for the conservation programs requiring wildlife expertise in cooperation with partners and NRCS staff.
• Communicates program requirements, completes site visits to determine eligibility, and develops contracts/plans for applicants/participants for the USDA Conservation Programs and other local and state programs.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners with a focus on understanding their goals and objectives for their property.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Strong commitment to quality customer service with landowners and partners.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland, grassland, and forest management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by federal (i.e., Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in the defined work area.
Training and Experience Guideline:
A minimum qualification for this position is: A) Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field or B) Related practical field experience. The position will receive training on the USDA Conservation Programs, Pheasants Forever, WI DNR and other local and state programs.
Contact: Marty Moses, State Coordinator at email@example.com or 608-712-8625
Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into a SINGLE Word document or PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” section of your application on our Recruitment website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs.
**Also indicate which specific location(s) you are applying for**
Pheasants Forever, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.