The Gunflint and Tofte Ranger Districts of the Superior National Forest are recruiting multiple wilderness ranger volunteer positions to work in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We are looking for individuals passionate about wild lands and interested in a career in natural resource management. Wilderness volunteers receive a daily stipend (approx. $240/trip), free housing, and a great career experience working in one of the most unique Wilderness areas in the country!
Position Duties include:
- 8-day backcountry canoe trips in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Maintain wilderness campsites and trails using traditional tools including crosscut saws and axes.
- Assist in large-scale rehabilitation projects.
- Conduct monitoring of campsites and social conditions.
- Educate backcountry visitors on Leave No Trace and Wilderness ethics.
- Multi-day backcountry camping experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both public and co-workers.
- Safety conscious in backcountry setting.
- Ability to work in physically strenuous conditions.
- Ability to carry 50lb. tool pack and associated camping gear.
- Ability to commit to season dates (May 31-August 27)
To request more information on volunteering in the BWCAW or to apply, contact Dan Disch
firstname.lastname@example.org - (218-663-8090)
Applicants may also apply directly through Volunteer.gov: https://www.volunteer.gov/s/volunteer-opportunity/a093d000000SrAJAA0/boundary-waters-wilderness-volunteerinternship