Since 2004 Aster Canyon Consulting, Inc. has been providing environmental consulting services from our Pinedale, Wyoming office. We specialize in environmental field services including; wildlife surveys for threatened and endangered species, wildlife monitoring of gas fields, habitat mitigation recommendations, gas well reclamation monitoring & recommendations, GIS mapping services, wetland delineations, and conservation easement baseline resource inventories. Our clients are oil and gas companies, land trusts, nonprofit conservation organizations, government agencies, engineers, land developers, realtors and ranchers. Wildlife species inventoried include; mountain plover, sage-grouse, prairie dogs, pygmy rabbits, burrowing owls, bald eagles, golden eagles, sage sparrows, sage thrashers, brewers’ sparrows, ferruginous hawks and other raptors and migratory birds. Vegetation inventoried consists of arid cold-desert sagebrush-grassland and desert saltbush species.
Work Timeline. Temporary/Seasonal Position
Wildlife Biologist =April 26th through the end of August/September. Dates are based on business need, and may be subject to change.
Pay Depends on Experience, around $18-22 per hour.
• Survey and identify threatened and endangered species on foot and by truck as per established protocols.
• Identify cold-desert sagebrush-grassland breeding birds by sight and sound.
• Must accurately and meticulously record data in the field and conduct quality control and quality assurance on collected data.
• Must accurately and meticulously enter data in excel database
• Locate and use existing reports, scientific studies, data and other relevant documents for educating yourself, creating ideas and for interpreting data and preparation of reports.
• Must accurately and meticulously map data via Arc View GIS
• Must accurately and meticulously report findings, maintain database, field truck, field equipment, safety equipment and record time on timesheet.
• Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn Wyoming wildlife biology.
• Must have a keen sense of observation!
• Top applicants will possess a B.S. in wildlife, biology, ecology, range ecology or natural resources. OR CURRENT STUDENTS who have avian knowledge and experience. Current Students considered for some positions if you have avian experience or classes.
• Experience identifying breeding birds in the western region.
• Ability to pass pre-employment drug testing and random drug testing during employment.
• Must demonstrate quick learning, strong observational skills, solid critical thinking, field leadership, and protocol implementation.
• Commitment to the conservation of natural diversity and have a solution minded focus in regards to the natural resource extraction industry.
• Very strong and demonstrated technical writing and editing skills.
• Top applicants will have excellent interpersonal communication skills, experience interacting with ranchers, hunters, scientists, tourists and oil & gas workers.
• Successful applicants will be flexible, enthusiastic, & hardworking.
• Positions demand sensitive observation and recording skills, persistence, independence and self-reliance.
• Willingness to work a variable schedule (often before sunrise & including weekends) that may change with little or no notice.
• Possess a valid, clean, driver’s license.
• Ability to navigate alone in the field using map, compass, and GPS unit.
• Assist project manager in data collection, organization, interpretation and report preparation.
• Use topographical maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and other maps and scientific, tools and equipment under difficult field conditions.
• Ability to walk 6 or more miles over uneven rocky terrain in inclement weather, with 45lbs pack.
• Normal hearing ability
• Possess current first aid & CPR certification
Additional Details: Employees will be responsible for providing their own personal field items, such as binoculars, field pack, water bottles, and steel-toed boots. Hard hat and fire-resistant coveralls will be provided by Aster Canyon. Field equipment, office equipment, and vehicles will be provided. Housing will not be provided, candidates will be expected to secure their own housing in or near Pinedale/Big Piney Wyoming. Usually this is not difficult and housing is affordable. Most job sites are in Sublette County and surrounding counties.
Aster Canyon culture consists of attention to employee personal career development, honesty, professional integrity, and a work hard play hard atmosphere. Schedules are flexible and family friendly. A typical week at Aster Canyon consists of 4 ten-hour days, therefore weekends are often a 3-day weekend. And we pay overtime at time and a half after 40 hours. You can expect to be home every night. On arrival, successful candidates will also be supplied with an annual national park pass for your enjoyment. Our past employees have enjoyed this work schedule and park pass because of our unique location at the base of the Wind River Mountains and we are located only 77 miles from Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park. If that did not provide enough recreation Yellowstone National Park is only 132 miles away.
Sublette County in Western Wyoming is the gateway to the Wind River Mountains, the Upper Green River Valley, Wyoming Range. Pinedale Wyoming is a paradise at the base of the Wind River Mountains approximately 70 miles south of Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. It is home to over 1300 lakes, including Fremont Lake and Half Moon Lake. Throughout Sublette County you will find spectacular scenery, wildlife, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, photography, and so many more exciting adventure opportunities. The primary industries in the county are livestock ranching, natural gas development, tourism, and hunting. The community has only about 7,000 residents throughout 4883 square miles. The county is 80% public land including Bureau of Land Management, State, and the Bridger-Teton National Forest. These are popular destinations for travelers. The area is home to a variety of animals including elk, bison mountain lion, eagles, wolf, sage-grouse, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, black bear and grizzly bear. For more local information check out, www.pinedaleonline.com
To apply mail or e-mail APPLICATION (on web page), cover letter, resume, transcripts (unofficial OK), and list of 3 references to Aster Canyon Consulting, Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org P.O. Box 1704 Pinedale, WY 82941. Please put WILDLIFE JOB POST in the subject line. www.astercanyon.com Thank you for your interest!
Contact Person: Ms. Renan Yanish
e-mail preferred: email@example.com