Are you ready to be overworked and underpaid!? Come to the beach and live among the animals. The Orange Beach Wildlife Center (OBWC) is an organization that focuses on the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of injured, sick and orphaned wild animals. Our unique location creates an opportunity to work with a wide variety of both bird and mammal species. We are permitted for mammals including rabies vector mammal species, reptiles, and migratory birds . We are a growing facility so as interns you get to experience it all! Duties include but aren’t limited to:, triaging animals, administering medications and treatments, changing bandages, raising orphaned young, diet prep, feedings, answering hotline phone, record keeping, fecal checks, bloodwork, animal releases, daily cleaning of facility, enclosures and kennels, and capturing animals. We also do educational programs that interns will participate in. This will provide you an opportunity to expand on your knowledge base and gain valuable experience with the public in a high volume tourist area.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Previous training in animal care, whether domestic or wild, is recommended but not required. The right candidate won’t be afraid of hard work and must be able to be flexible as we never know what kind of calls will come in. Intern must work well with others; have initiative, good communication and time management skills. The right candidate should be adaptable, have a mature demeanor and be emotionally stable. Preference will go to those looking to pursue a career in Wildlife Rehab and Education or other related fields. This is a 40 hour/ 5 days a week internship plus on call times. Interns respond to some after hour calls and must be willing to work nights, weekends and holidays. A lot is expected out of our interns, but a lot of learning and unique opportunities and experience are given to our interns in return - All while getting to live 3 miles from sugary white sand beaches. Housing is provided and a $400 a month stipend. The quarters are located on site within the center and consist of a co-ed dorm-like atmosphere.
- This position requires a background check, including a drug test
- Interns must sign a code of conduct contract.
- Must agree to 5 months minimum.
- Must agree to work weekends, nights and holidays
- Must be available to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to successfully meet the physical demands of the job, which include: stooping, squatting, kneeling, crouching, crawling, standing for long periods of time, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions, and lifting 50 lbs. up to the waist level.
- Candidates must be up-to-date on their tetanus vaccinations.
Please send resume, three references and cover letter describing your interest’s to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for a candidate to start ASAP.