The Texas Zoo is a zoological institution located in Victoria, Texas and serves the surrounding community as a leader in conservation education. This internship is designed for undergraduate, graduate students or recently graduated students pursuing careers in animal care, conservation, education or related disciplines. The Wildlife Care Department of The Texas Zoo is seeking an Intern to assist animal care in diet preparation, facility cleaning, feeding, public programs and special events. Applicants must have reliable transportation and are responsible for their own housing, however zoo staff can help applicants find housing. The Texas Zoo internships are unpaid. If college credits are desired, it is solely the student’s responsibility to coordinate through their academic institution to receive credits. Students requesting to conduct a special project during the internship must submit a proposal to be considered for approval.
Selected applicants will assist with all functions of the Wildlife Care Department of The Texas Zoo. Intern duties will include but are not limited to:
● Assisting in the husbandry and handling of the animal collection. Including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
● Diet Preparation
● Record keeping
● Facility hygiene
● Interacting in a positive and educational way to all Zoo Guests on the daily basis.
● Behavioral Conditioning
● Must be at least 18 years of age.
● Must be able to commit to a minimum of 20/hrs a week, but prefer 40 hrs/week
● Must be available for 12-17 weeks
● Must be a current student (undergraduate or graduate), or recent graduate
● Excellent verbal and written skills.