The MacKenzie Center, just 25 miles north of Madison, is a diverse environmental education and outdoor skills center with a history in conservation. With interpretive trails, exhibits, museums and programming available for school and youth groups, MacKenzie is a wonderful place to visit and learn about the natural world. Work directly with wildlife staff to care for multiple species of non-releasable native Wisconsin wild animals.
This part time position is responsible for duties associated with the care of live wild animals. The wildlife area is a teaching tool for our visiting schools, groups and individuals. Caring for animals directly influences the quality and quantity of education programs offered at MacKenzie. This position works under the immediate direction of the wildlife team and is supervised by the MacKenzie Center Property Manager. This position represents and supports the rules, policies, missions, and practices of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
• Prepare and deliver natural diets and enrichment, monitor health and well-being of all animals
• Assist staff with animal handling and restraint for veterinary and transport purposes
• Clean habitats, and grounds-keeping/routine maintenance of wildlife area
• Assist with special projects and complete an individual project
*Spring and Summer positions available
• Must be 18 years of age or older to apply
• Experience caring for animals and working outdoors
• Positive attitude, initiative, emotional maturity, responsible, observation skills and attention to detail
• Physical activity; walking on varied terrain, bending, squatting, reaching, and carrying materials (up to 50 lbs.)
• This is an unpaid internship and housing is not provided
• Gain experience with and knowledge of native Wisconsin animals
• Analyze and develop professional skills through evaluation and mentor relationships with professional staff
• Approximately 16-24 hours per week for 12 weeks, from early/mid-February until early May
• Weekday and weekend hours available (weekends and holidays are not required)