Iowa DNR Prairie Lakes Wildlife Unit (Clay County)
3120 330th Ave, Ruthven, IA 51358
Iowa DNR Red Rock Wildlife Unit (Marion County)
911 Fulton St, Pleasantville, IA 50225
Application deadline: March 5, 2021
Salary: $13.81 per hour
Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. – 40 hours per week
Tentative Start Date: April 6, 2021
End Date: May 8, 2022
The positions may be extended for an additional year pending funding and job performance.
If the position is extended the candidate may be reassigned to another wildlife unit in Iowa.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The PF Wildlife Management Specialist is expected to perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and technical tasks at a wildlife management unit. The employee is expected to display a high level of initiative and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently. Employees in this position will work with other wildlife unit personnel and be under the general direction of the Wildlife Biologist. The job duties of this position include general wildlife management activities on State owned wildlife areas within the assigned unit counties. Overnight travel will occasionally be required on special projects outside of the assigned unit counties, especially during the fall months.
Examples of typical job duties may include:
• Perform general wildlife management activities including: Wetland management, prairie management, native prairie seeding, food plot development, tree/brush removal, spraying, disking, mowing, etc. using large farm machinery, chainsaws, and other hand tools.
• Prescribed fire implementation for ecological purposes. This duty will require fire-line construction, fire-line holding, and mop-up activities. Performance of these tasks will require the employee to periodically work under physically stressful and adverse conditions. Proficiency in the use of basic wildland firefighting equipment will be needed.
• Wildlife Surveys & Monitoring including: Waterfowl banding, deer spotlight routes, august roadside surveys, spring bird point counts, fall quail covey counts, chronic wasting disease sampling, etc. Collecting of biological data occasionally will require early or late in the day work scheduling
• General area maintenance involving mowing, sign posting, fence building, fence removal, tree/brush control, noxious weed control etc. These activities require the ability to use simple power equipment; drills, saws, hand tools, chain saws, trimmers, small mowers etc.
• Special assignments may require some overnight travel as part of a crew, to accomplish large scale fence removal, fence building or tree removal projects outside of the assigned unit counties. These assignments will require the ability to work well with others, work out of doors under all types of weather conditions, and to withstand physically demanding work, i.e., lifting, bending and hauling.
• College graduate with a degree in wildlife biology, animal ecology, or another closely related natural resource field.
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Able to travel on overnight duties.
• Work with minimal supervision; demonstrate responsible behavior and attention to detail.
• Must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
• Able to work alone or as part of a team, with the public, in all conditions, on weekends, holidays, nights, and evenings as required.
• Follow policy and cooperate with supervisors and co-workers.
• Exhibits honesty and integrity.
• Displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess or be able to acquire a pesticide applicator’s license and S130-190 basic firefighter training certification, special requirements shall be met within 90 days of hire if not currently possessed. Successful applicant will also be encouraged to obtain a commercial driver’s license, Iowa DNR chainsaw safety certification, and first aid & blood borne pathogen training.
Application Requirements: Combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into 1 Word document or PDF file before uploading to the Recruitment website.
To Apply: Visit our website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
If you have additional questions, please contact Rob Patterson, IA DNR-Prairie Lakes email@example.com or 712-330-2563 OR Todd Gosselink, IA DNR-Red Rock firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-238-6936; Jamie Cook, IA State Coordinator for PF, email@example.com or 859-779-0222.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled