Full - time seasonal (September 2022 - March 2023) fieldwork position with benefits including: 100% paid medical, TRS retirement, sick and vacation leave. Overtime paid for any hours over 40. Possible term extension through August 2023 for the right candidate.
Texas Tech Quail - Tech™ has researched quail demographics in the Rolling Plains ecoregion of Texas for over a decade and is currently engaged in a long-term project to test an integrated management approach to influence bobwhite survival and reproduction. The successful applicant will trap and band northern bobwhite, perform radio telemetry (both VHF and GPS), track radio-marked bobwhite chicks, monitor meso-mammal and raptor populations, and assist in UAV-borne telemetry operations.
This job involves living in alone in a travel trailer (less than 3 years old) in a camp with 2 - 3other technicians at a remote study area. The job requires teamwork, but the ability to work unsupervised. Typically each technician receives two days off per week, but timing will depend on research needs.
B. S. in wildlife science or related field. Well qualified undergraduate students will be considered.
*Actual radio telemetry experience (more than class experience) is preferred
* Basic vegetation measurement field skills
* Upland bird experience preferred, but not required
* Use of UTVs, ATVs, and 4x4 trucks in a sandy environment
* Use of AVENZA and other GPS devices
* Ability to accurately enter data using Microsoft Office products
* Strong work ethic that includes the ability to complete long, hot days with early morning work.
* Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Must be able to pass driver's background check
Questions welcome at rowdy.white@TTU.EDU, but MUST apply at website.