Under direction of the regional Aquatic Wildlife Program Manager, the Streams Biologist will be responsible for planning, implementing, conducting, analyzing, and reporting professional aquatic wildlife management activities and projects primarily in lotic environments in the White Mountains and eastern Mogollon Rim of Arizona. The position is based at the Pinetop Regional Office.
Major duties will include:
• Implementing activities related to Apache Trout and Gila Trout recovery, wild trout sportfish management, stream stocking coordination, and some non-game native fish conservation within Region I of Arizona
• Typical field work includes:
o Sampling fish populations using various electrofishing gear, nets, and traps,
o Collecting and processing water and biological samples,
o Conducting aquatic habitat surveys
o Performing mechanical and/or chemical removal of undesirable aquatic species,
o Operating and performing maintenance on field survey equipment
o Understanding and following Regional and State HACCP plans,
o Translocating and/or stocking native and sportfish species according to project plans,
o Other field activities as needed
• Uses specialized methods, techniques and data processing to compile and analyze collected data and other information to formulate and present aquatic wildlife management findings and recommendations in the form of trip summaries, progress reports, white papers, and more
• Reviews technical publications to maintain proficiency in specialty field and participates in outreach activities
• Ensures program coordination with a variety of other Department work units as well as with external agencies
• Will lead and supervise summer field crews and volunteers, schedule crew activities for streams projects, and provide training
• Performs other duties as assigned
The candidate must have knowledge, skills, and ability in fisheries survey and management techniques, standardized sampling protocols, Arizona sportfish and native fish identification and habitat requirements, water chemistry measuring devices and techniques, limnological processes, outdoors survival, hiking long distances in rough remote terrain in high elevations, camping for extended periods of time.
Must be able to handle a wide range of inclement weather and high elevations, operation and basic maintenance of 4x4 vehicles, watercraft, snowmobiles and fisheries survey equipment, particularly backpack electrofishers, effective communication (oral and written), developing effective working relationships with the general public and co-workers, managing time and priorities effectively.
Candidates must have knowledge of basic statistics and computers, maps, GPS equipment and GIS software, analysis and interpretation of field data, effective training and leadership techniques, Game and Fish laws and regulations, Department policies and procedures. The candidate must have the ability camp for extended periods of time. May occasionally work irregular work schedules that include weekends, holidays, and/or nights.
The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in a wildlife science, fisheries science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university and two years professional experience in fisheries and/or wildlife research/management. An advanced degree in fisheries and/or wildlife sciences or closely related field from an accredited college or university may substitute for one year of required experience.
The position will also require the successful acquisition of a Pesticide Applicator Certification for Arizona after hire and retaining that certification annually. Employment is contingent upon completion of a post-offer medical/physical examination and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
Position requires possession of and the ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.).
TO GO TO AZSTATEJOBS.GOV
CLICK SEARCH FOR JOBS, SELECT GAME AND FISH DEPT FROM AGENCY DROPDOWN
Direct link: https://azstatejobs.azdoa.gov/ltmprod/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=314V