Sierra Pacific Industries started in 1949 with one sawmill in Humboldt, CA. Since that time, we have grown to be one of the largest lumber and millwork producer in the U.S., employing nearly 5,000 crew members. Sierra Pacific continues to be a company where its employees are proud to work at state-of-the-art facilities and others strive to become part of the team.
Sierra Pacific Industries is seeking qualified Wildlife Technicians to help manage the company’s forest lands in the Sierra Nevada for the 2018 summer season. Primary species being surveyed will be the California spotted owl and the northern goshawk.
About The Position
• Support on-going monitoring of sensitive species
• Data entry and miscellaneous forestry and wildlife related project work
• The work is fast paced and can, at times, be demanding
• Off-road driving, working in both hot and cold work environments,
• Work may consist of night-time hours
• Camping for up to four nights a week
• Housing allowance may be available
• Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
• College-level coursework in wildlife biology, forestry or biological science
• One season calling for raptors preferred
• Ability to safely hike and navigate alone in remote steep mountainous regions using map, compass, and GPS
• Must possess valid driver’s license and have the ability to drive hazardous mountain roads
• Knowledge of native wildlife species of Sierra Nevada forests
• Excellent communication skills
Why Join Our Team?
We provide an excellent benefit package including a full Health Benefits Plan with low cost premiums, a 401(k) with Company Match, additional Retirement Contributions, and company paid Life Insurance.
In addition, for over 38 years, the Sierra Pacific Foundation has provided scholarships to help the children of our crew members with education expenses. Each year, we give an average of $500,000 in scholarships.
How To Apply
If you are qualified and would like to apply, please send a cover letter referencing this position and a resume by January 31, 2018 to:
Sierra Pacific Industries
Jennifer Podva, Human Resources
PO Box 496014
Redding, CA 96049-6014
Interested in SPI, but not this job? Look for future openings at: www.spi-ind.com/careers
About Our Company
Sierra Pacific Industries is a third generation family-owned company based in Northern California. Sierra Pacific owns and sustainably manages nearly 2 million acres of timberland in California and Washington. We are growing forests for our future, planting over 6 million new trees every year. Our forests are managed under a 100-year plan by Registered Professional Foresters, Wildlife Biologists, Botanists, and other professionals.
Sierra Pacific effectively utilize nearly 100% of every piece of wood we bring to our mills. In fact, the small amount that isn’t turned into windows, millwork, lumber, or landscaping material is actually converted into electricity in our seven biomass-fueled power plants.
As part of our safety in the workplace policy, an offer of employment is subject to a negative drug screen result. We are also proud that all Sierra Pacific facilities follow our tobacco-free policy. We verify the social security number of all newly hired employees. Sierra Pacific is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer, including those with a disability and veterans.