Now is a great time to join Redhorse Corporation. Redhorse specializes in developing and implementing creative strategies and solutions with private, state, and federal customers in the areas of cultural and environmental resources services, climate and energy change, information technology, and intelligence services. We are hiring creative, motivated, and talented people with a passion for doing what's right, what's smart, and what works.
Redhorse Corporation has a need for a Wildlife/Plant Biologist - Mojave Desert Specialist on a task with the U.S. Army Department of Public Works at Fort Irwin, CA.
Role and Responsibilities of the Wildlife/Plant Biologist - Mojave Desert Specialist:
Lead and/or assist with biological monitoring programs for springs/seeps, burrowing owl, Mojave fringe-toed lizard, Mohave ground squirrel, Lane Mountain milkvetch, desert cymopterus.
Draft annual monitoring reports for 1 or 2 of the monitoring programs listed above.
Conduct wildlife and vegetation surveys to ensure compliance with environmental laws associated with dig permit requests.
Respond to after-hours call requesting assistance with wildlife/human conflicts (typically 1 week per month).
Conduct or assist with environmental outreach briefings and events concerning Mojave Desert ecology and/or military requirements related to environmental laws.
On an annual basis, this position requires 40 - 50% field work (typically exceeding 50% during spring and fall seasons).
Minimum Basic Requirements for Skills, Experience, Education and Credentials include:
• Bachelor of Science (BS) in biology, botany, ecology or a related undergraduate degree, and 1-2 years of related experience OR a Master of Science (MS) in a relevant field.
• Experience working in the Mojave Desert ecosystem and the ability to work long days in a wide range of weather conditions.
• Excellent plant identification skills for species common to the Mojave Desert or experience in plant identification in other desert ecosystems with an aptitude for learning new plant species quickly.
• Experience working with Desert Tortoise and/or completion of the Desert Tortoise Council's Introduction to Desert Tortoises and Field Techniques course.
• Experience conducting general natural resource inventories, and/or experience with Fort Irwin's other special status species (Mojave Fringe-Toed Lizard, Burrowing Owl, Lane Mountain Milkvetch, Desert Cymopterus, Mohave Ground Squirrel).
• Experience capturing or handling wildlife species using specialized equipment (Traps, snake tongs, noose pole).
• Experience towing trailers and mending fence breaches.
• A working knowledge of standard office computer software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
• At least a basic knowledge and experience with mapping software (ArcGIS).
• Experience navigating and collecting data using GPS technology.
• Experience operating 4x4 vehicles on unimproved dirt roads.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Upon hiring the applicant must be able to pass a federal background check required prior to gaining access to unclassified government computer work stations.
LOCATION Ft. Irwin, CA
If you are interested in this opportunity, we invite you to apply at: https://goo.gl/UG4Vkb
EOE STATEMENT Redhorse Corporation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer