As a pioneer in groundbreaking scientific and engineering developments since the 1960s, TRC Companies, Inc. (TRC) is a growing national engineering consulting and construction management firm that provides multi-disciplinary services to the energy, environmental, and infrastructure markets. TRC serves a broad range of clients in government and industry, implementing complex projects from initial concept through permitting, construction and operation.
TRC is seeking Winter Raptor Survey Technicians to monitor wintering grassland raptors at various locations throughout New York State.
This is a temporary role that is needed from November 2021 until March 2022 with possible extension into mid-April. Surveys will focus on daytime driving surveys to observe activity of northern harriers, followed by evening surveys to identify potential roosting and foraging locations for northern harrier and short-eared owl.
In addition to the target species, observations of raptors and wintering songbirds will also be recorded following NYSDEC draft protocol for monitoring wintering grassland birds. Surveys will be conducted on privately-owned properties in grassland and agricultural settings and along public roads. Successful applicants with additional skills and experience in identification of eastern songbirds may be considered for continuation of work through breeding bird season (May-July).
Some projects may require living on or near the Project site for the duration of the survey season. TRC provides a daily Per Diem rate for working days. This position is anticipated to require a minimum of five survey days per week. Work in inclement weather is common throughout the survey season, therefore technicians should be comfortable and prepared to work in winter field conditions with proper clothing and personal equipment. TRC will provide for the use of 4WD rental vehicles on survey days. Additional safety equipment (safety vest, road cones, first aid kits) will be provided as well.
- Perform field observations/surveys in compliance with established survey protocols.
- Photo document field conditions and complete viewshed evaluations, enter data, and perform other field activities.
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with landowners, field staff, and field coordinator(s) to maintain survey schedule.
- Maintain high level of data quality control and ensure timely submittal of data; May be asked to provide monthly or weekly summaries of results.
- Adhere to all established safety protocols, including those mandated by TRC and any additional project-specific requirements.
- Qualified candidates will possess strong skills for identifying raptors common in the Eastern United States, with a particular emphasis on identification of raptors known to occur throughout New York State during the wintering months.
- Must be currently enrolled or graduate of Biology, Environmental Science, Wildlife Studies or related programs. Relevant coursework in field survey methods, data collection and analysis, and ornithology are a plus.
- At least two season of avian monitoring experience preferred. Coursework in ornithology may be considered a substitute for experience if a field identification component was included.
- Successful applicants should have the ability to enter data, and perform other field activities, however training on specific survey protocol will be provided.
- Strong applicants will also have a passion for spending late evenings observing birds, be physically fit and capable of working in a field setting (with exposure to cold, wintry conditions, comfort walking long distances over uneven terrain, knowledge and ability to prepare and endure winter field working conditions, etc.).
- The ability to navigate using GPS and follow safety procedures is a must.
- Applicants must possess a driver's license and be comfortable with occasional and/or daily travel. Some overnight travel may be required.
- Applicants should also be comfortable driving long distances at night, and in winter road conditions. 4WD experience is a plus.
- Strong oral/written communication and organizational skills.
TRC offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation package including a 401(k) plan with a company match. For more information please visit our website at www.trccompanies.com .
EOE: Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled.