Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Woodrat Trapping Technician: San Miguel, California
University of Nevada Reno
San Miguel, California
$2,200 per month
Last Date to Apply
The University of Nevada, Reno is seeking one field technician to assist in collecting data to estimate densities and site occupancy of two woodrat species in a secondary contact zone. The technician will work in a team of two people, moving traps, setting traps, checking traps, handling woodrats, marking woodrats, and recording data.
Work will occur for 30 consecutive days with 14 days off. Daytime work entails moving traps and walking through dense vegetation searching for new woodrat houses. Trapping occurs in the evening and early morning hours. Technicians must be comfortable working in the dark and able to acclimate to an altered sleep schedule. Technicians must be flexible to last-minute schedule changes and be willing to work different sets of daily hours as needed to complete the project.
Project will run through the beginning of November 2021, but shorter availability could be accommodated.
Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and ideally their own vehicle for personal use.
Technician will ideally
• Have small mammal trapping experience (woodrat experience is a plus)
• Possess knowledge and ability to identify small mammals
• Be able to navigate in dense vegetation and mark waypoints with a GPS unit
• Be physically fit enough to walk multiple miles a day, sometimes while heavy bags of
traps and other supplies, and the ability to remain on their feet for many hours a day
• Be observant, a quick learner, and have an interest in small mammals/wildlife
• Be able to deal with temperature extremes (both hot and cold)
• Adaptable to a varied sleep schedule and willing to work non-standard hours
• Record data accurately
• Be a good communicator, supportive team member and able to maintain a positive
attitude even under rigorous working conditions
We are looking to fill this position asap, so earlier applications will have priority. Please submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references (phone and email) by email to Casey Adkins, firstname.lastname@example.org