Date Posted: October 11, 2017
Location: Avon, CO
Application Deadline: November 3, 2017
Reports To: President
Compensation: Competitive Salary is DOE and includes medical and dental insurance and a 401K retirement plan with 3% match. Also included are 12 paid holidays, 15 days paid vacation, and 12 sick days, professional development opportunities, pro deals, and discounted ski pass.
To Apply: Please submit a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, (3) writing sample including lesson plan and/or training session plan, (4) Walking Mountains Science Center Employment Application Form to: email@example.com.
Founded in 1998, Walking Mountains Science Center is a nonprofit organization whose mission it is to awaken a sense of wonder and inspire environmental stewardship and sustainability through natural science education. As part of a dynamic organization, you will join a team of like-minded, spirited colleagues who are passionate about the mission of Walking Mountains and the impact it’s making in the community.
Job Description: Youth Programs Director
This full-time, year-round position is responsible for oversight of Walking Mountains field science, after school and summer youth programs. The Youth Programs Director is an educational leadership and management position currently reporting to the President.
* Provide leadership for youth programs department and annually develop vision, goals, and strategies.
* Develop relationships with public and private K-12 school teachers and administrators.
* Foster and advance strategic partnerships, including Eagle County Schools and existing Memorandum of Understanding.
* Serve on Eagle County Schools Science Curriculum Committee.
* Link WMSC programming with relevant initiatives in environmental and science education.
* Oversee program design, curriculum, instructional soundness, and evaluation of youth programs.
Program Coordination and Administration
* Work with School Programs Coordinator to schedule K-12 school and summer programs and oversee annual youth programs calendar.
* Coordinate youth program staffing, contracts, database, curriculum, evaluation, and special use permit days.
* Work with staff to coordinate volunteer opportunities supporting youth programs.
* Supervise the following coordinators: Summer and School Program Coordinators, Girls in Science and STEM Coordinators, and Sowing Seeds Coordinator.
* Assist Graduate Program Director and Summer and School Programs Coordinator to recruit, hire, train, and supervise Graduate Fellows and Youth Programs Instructor.
* Continue to develop and enhance the Graduate Fellowship and Instructor positions.
Instruction and Professional Development
* Collaborate with program coordinators to lead new hire and seasonal staff trainings for Graduate Fellows and Instructors.
* Work with Graduate Programs Director to integrate graduate courses with training and professional development of Graduate Fellows.
* Develop teacher training workshops for Eagle County School employees.
* Serve as Graduate Advisor and mentor for Graduate Fellows.
* Establish professional development goals and strategies for youth programs department.
Operations and Risk Management
* Provide leadership, vision, and support as part of Walking Mountains Program Operations Team.
* Evaluate, update, and train youth programs staff on risk management policies and procedures.
* Oversee acquisition and inventory of youth program resources (equipment, supplies, specimens, books).
* Work closely with youth program staff on personnel issues, facility and vehicle issues, compliance with liability insurance, all special and recreation use permits (USFS, BLM, SLSP) and WMSC policies and procedures.
* Serve on staff committee such as HR, Risk Management, Professional Development, etc.
* Work with staff to inform development of annual marketing and public relations plan for youth programs.
* Represent Walking Mountains at community programs, events, and conferences as needed.
* Provide program descriptions and information for publications and website.
* Work with Marketing Director to update Youth Programs page on Walking Mountains’ website, including updating content, pictures, registration forms for summer programs, job postings etc.
* Develop annual Youth Programs budget, program cost sheets, and pricing strategies.
* Oversee ongoing budget tracking and monthly program profit and loss reconciliation.
* Write program related articles for newspaper and website.
Other Duties as assigned
* Masters degree in related field plus minimum 5 years field or classroom teaching experience.
* Working knowledge of Rocky Mountain ecology, and land management issues.
* Experience developing standards-based educational curricula, using field research as an educational tool.
* Experience with outdoor program administration and managing personnel.
* Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office.
* Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
* Certified Wilderness First Responder and CPR.