The Houston Zoo is seeking well-qualified candidates with aviculture experience to join our Bird Department team for the position of Zookeeper to be responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations associated with the husbandry of the animals and the maintenance of animal areas within the Bird Department.
Our Mission: Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
Our Vision: Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Carries out all aspects of the daily care of assigned animals including cleaning, feeding, exhibit maintenance, general upkeep of support facilities.
• Maintains clean and organized exhibits, equipment, and keeper areas.
• Maintains live exhibit plantings to enhance exhibit aesthetics and provide a comfortable environment for species; eliminates weeds and toxic plants from animal enclosures.
• In conjunction with the Zoo’s pest control officer, may assist in pest control through the use of exclusion or traps.
• Prepares and feeds appropriate diets as per established feeding practices and diet sheets.
• Administers prescribed medications, supplements, or treatments under the guidance of the veterinary and supervisory staff.
• Records and reports any abnormal species health or behavioral issues to the supervisor.
• Experience in captive management of a variety of bird species is desired. Artificial incubation and hand rearing experience desired.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• One year of experience in animal care at an AZA or equivalent facility, gained through employment, internships, or volunteer experience.
• Experience with species in captivity, in a conservation setting.
• Experience with basic carpentry and mechanical skills.
• Must have or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver’s license.